- We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting.
- We can create ‘social stories’ with/for the children if transition is likely to prove challenging.
- For children starting in Reception, a series of visits for children are planned throughout the second half of the Summer Term as well as the opportunity for parents to meet with the class teacher at an information evening, in order to help children, parents and staff get to know each other.
- A transition form is sent to all pre-schools and other schools prior to children transferring to St Patrick’s. The Teachers will visit settings where possible.
- We liaise closely with the staff when receiving and transferring children to and from different schools, ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.
- If your child has complex needs, then a MSP or EHCP review will be used as a transition planning meeting to which we will invite staff from both schools.
- Transition between year groups and key stages within the school will be dealt with as part of our annual programme of transition and handover to the next class teacher.
- At any point where a child with SEND is preparing to leave our school, we would seek to arrange additional visits for the child in question to support smooth transition.